Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Recommendations

Movies You Haven't Heard Of, But Must See:

Winter's Bone


Easily the best film I've seen this year. The performance by Jennifer Lawrence is achingly real. Even months later I'm still thinking about it. It's one of the few films I've seen recently that I would see twice in theaters. The film follows a teenage girl in the Ozarks, whose father has disappeared on the run from the law, leaving their house as bond. Ree (Jennifer Lawrence) then embarks on a dangerous journey to find her father and try to keep her family together. This film is exquisitely acted and the story told with haunting and heartbreaking realism. A must see.

Samson and Delilah


This is one of those films that serves as a painful reminder of the world we often allow ourselves to forget. I found it extraordinarily painful to watch, mostly because I recognized so much of it as real. This raw Australian film follows two aboriginal teenagers in a desperate struggle for survival first in their own depressed community,
and then on the merciless streets of the city. When I watch films like this I remember that these are the stories that most need to be told. This is why film and storytelling exists. Incisive and unflinching, this story will leave you aching and bruised, but a with little more understanding of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment