Saturday, December 26, 2009

It's Complicated


Directed by: Nancy Meyers
Starring: Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, John Krasinski

I wish this film had made me laugh out loud more. Up in the Air is a comedy that kept me laughing and poked at our culture in all the right places, but this film falls short on every level. The big laughs here can all be credited to John Krisinski (made famous by his role as Jim in "The Office"), who plays the lovable son-in-law with his brilliantly unique and hilarious comedic timing. Although I will admit that, to my surprise, I found the scene where everyone (including the middle-aged love triangle) gets high at a party pretty hilarious. In the end, though, I found the story hard to relate to. I never felt comfortable with the affair between Streep's character and Baldwin's, and the comedy is big and blunt rather than smart and subtle. But, Meryl Streep is charming and natural, as always, and Steve Martin plays her love-interest with a sweet awkwardness. As an entertaining film, It's Complicated does its job but, except for Krasinski's scenes, it doesn't hit its comedic marks, and fades into the ranks of innumerable other mediocre rom-coms.

1 comment: